Monday, August 20, 2012

The Grass the Trees and Me


Last night going to bed I set my alarm for 7am.  I woke at 6am and contemplated turning over and sleeping until the alarm went off. The usual discussion went on in my head,

Voice: “You are tired, sleep on”

Me “but I feel so much better when I have my walk, it sets me up for the day.

Voice: “but you had a busy weekend and you deserve a rest”

Me: “I know that but I will feel guilty if I don’t get up and walk”

I really don’t know who the voice is but I think it is the lazy part of me, always looking out for my comfort and challenging the feel good part of me.

In any case Me won out and I jumped out of bed got dressed and put on my ankle supports and my  ECCO shoes that are my lifesavers a quick brush of my hair and wash my teeth, turned on imapmywalk and I was good to go. It was 6.22am.  Around the corner I turned on the radio on my phone and plugged in my earphones. I cannot turn the radio on coming out of the house because the signal goes as soon as I leave my row of houses so I wait until I am out of range of the wi-fi.

I headed towards the red bridge over the Griffeen River the pathway is steep here and you have to watch your footing or you will land on your bum.  I met that creepy looking brown guy that is always walking on that stretch of the path at that time.  (Mental  note to self, leave earlier.) I speak to him but he has a leery auld head on him and he makes me feel uncomfortable.

The morning is bright and the sun is creeping over the trees and gradually lighting the shadows left by the dark night. I climb the hill to the back of St Finians Estate, marvelling how easy it is for me to do that now.  Some months ago I struggled with this hill and it could knock the wind out of me, now is it easy peasy thank God, I do thank God regularly for helping me in my get fit efforts.

There were very few out and about, the roads were quiet and there was no bus at the bus stop. I walked on smartly up and past Superquinn and past the Lucan Harriers track. Just after I turned left at the next junction the imapmywalk voice said I had walked a mile in 17min 6 seconds a medium pace for me.  I crossed the road and walked along the high wall. The big black dogs were at the gate across the road and barked frantically as I walked by. I remember the first time I passed by their gate and they lifted me off the footpath in a fright. 

The sun was climbing in the cloudless sky and was now in my eyes.  The Living Word came on the radio. Last week it came from Plum Village and was about meditation and living mindfully it was interesting and made good listening.  I cannot even remember what this morning’s programme was about.

 I crossed the road and walked along by the park and through the housing estate bordering the park.  The river Griffeen was running low for a change and the park was lit well with sunshine.  I went through the gate and immediately before me was a woman walking two big dogs. Both were having a crap on the grass near the gate and she just walked off and left it. It wasn’t the first time I had witnessed something like that, the park is widely used by dog owners and a good percentage of them use the park as a toilet for their dog and do not clean up after them.

I walked by the new red and yellow gym machines standing empty wondering if they are being used much by anything other than kids. I was tempted to jump up on the air walker but resisted because I my back was still painful since yesterday. I walked down to and over the bridge, up by the empty dog run and up and around the playing field. Usually I would meet the woman with the beautiful dog at this stage and later the old man with the tanned skin running without a top.  The woman is pleasant and the dog is friendly but the man is either very rude or very focused on what he is doing. Neither was anywhere to be seen. 

My alarm went off for 7am and I had passed the 2 mile mark and was well on the way home. Churffed with myself I walked through the sunlit stretch of green grass which is surrounded by mature trees on both sides.  There were only the singing birds, the grass, the trees, the nearby river and me.  

What an absolutely perfect way to start a new week and was I ever glad I got out of bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment